It’s important to effectively wash your fruits and vegetables before consumption. For save and effective washing of fresh produce, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands.
- Cut away any bruised or damaged areas on fruits and vegetables
- Wash fruits and vegetables under fresh cool, running water – even if you plan to peel them!
- Use a clean produce brush to scrub produce that has firm surfaces. It is not necessary to use produce cleansers to wash fresh fruits and vegetables
- Ready-to-eat bagged and pre-washed leafy greens do not need to be washed again before eating.
- Pre-cut or pre-washed leafy greens sold in open bags or containers should be washed before eating.
- Use one cutting board for produce, and a separate one for raw meat, poultry, fish and seafood.
- Sanitize countertops, cutting boards and utensils before and after preparing food.