Make It Tonight: Cal & Gary's Organic Eggs

August 25, 2020

They’re not just for breakfast anymore, as the old saying goes. Eggs are very nutritious, versatile and tasty. Next time you’re choosing your eggs, look for new Cal & Gary’s Organic Eggs in the cooler.

Eggs contain an abundance of vitamins and minerals but mostly from the yolk. If you only like to eat egg whites, you are getting about 3 grams of protein but missing out on a lot of key nutrients including Vitamin A, Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin D & Calcium, just to name a few.

What about cholesterol? While eggs are high in cholesterol, research shows this does not affect about 70% of people’s blood cholesterol. Even with the other 30% of people who are affected, it’s only a mild increase.

Choosing eggs as your protein may actually benefit your overall health. According to a satiety index of food, eggs keep you full longer than other foods and reduce calorie intake later. Studies have also confirmed that eggs keep you full and this can help aid weight loss. One study found people who ate eggs instead of bagels for breakfast felt fuller and consumed few calories for the next 36 hours! A separate study also showed significant weight loss over an 8-week period when replacing bagels with eggs at breakfast.

While that’s a good thing, don’t forget to consider eggs for dinner or lunch too!  A fast meal idea is quiche. Easy to make and packed with flavour, try our Spinach and Mushroom Quiche—which keeps well and makes a great leftover for breakfast or lunch the next day!

Taste outside the takeout box by making our family-friendly New York Strip Steak Don. To feed a crowd, this Grilled Steak Caesar Salad with a Fried Eggs is a sure bet.

 Spinach and Mushroom Quiche

 Wk35 Cal Garys Organic Eggs blogIngredients:

1 package 8” unbaked pie shell
½ cup Swiss cheese, grated
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
½ cup spinach, baby
2 Tbsp. butter
5 Cal & Gary’s Organic Eggs
¼ cup milk
½ cup cream
salt and pepper

Directions:

1 .Preheat oven to 375°F

2. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.

3. Add the butter and when melted and foaming, add the mushrooms.

4. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender. Remove from pan and let cool slightly.

5. Mix together eggs, milk and cream in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

6. Place spinach in the bottom of the pie shell, top with cheese and mushrooms.

7. Pour over egg custard mixture and carefully stir to combine ingredients.

8. Place on a sheet pan and bake for approximately 35 minutes or until firm in the center.

Three Make It Tonight recipes for Cal & Gary's Organic Eggs

Fast MIT

Spinach and Mushroom Quiche

Fancy MIT

New York Strip Steak Don

Family MIT

Grilled Steak Caesar Salad with a Fried Egg

Share:

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Latest Make It Tonight Related Stories

Make It Tonight: Cal & Gary's Organic Eggs

Make It Tonight: Cal & Gary's Organic Eggs

Learn More

Coyote Pancake & Waffle Mix

Coyote Pancake & Waffle Mix

Alberta is known for its high quality wheat—and Calgary is a city that loves its pancakes, par-ticularly during the first week of July.

Learn More

Village Brewery Non-Alcoholic Beer

Village Brewery Non-Alcoholic Beer

Sometimes on a hot summer day, or after a job well done, you just want to crack open a cold one to feel truly refreshed.

Learn More