For over 60 years, we've been providing our members with the freshest local food grown and produced right here in Alberta. We keep this tradition alive today by offering Only Alberta Beef.
Ken Keelor, CEO Calgary Co-op – “We are committed to supporting local suppliers, and we’re proud to be the first major retailer to guarantee all our fresh beef will be from Alberta. It’s part of our focus on ensuring our members can enjoy all the outstanding agricultural products grown in the city’s backyard.”
The Alberta Beef Producers make it their mission to strengthen the sustainability and competitiveness of the beef industry for the benefit of beef producers in Alberta.
Rich Smith, ABP Executive Director – “We are pleased to see a large locally-owned grocery retailer like Calgary Co-op throw its support behind Alberta’s beef industry by providing its members fresh beef exclusively produced locally right here in Alberta.”
JBS Canada never compromises on integrity. Central to everything they produce are hard-working ranchers and farm families who faithfully raise only the highest quality breeds with unmatched care and attentiveness.
David Colwell, President of JBS Canada – “As a verified Alberta beef supplier, JBS Canada is proud to partner with Calgary Co-op to ensure that the fresh, high quality, local beef they are offering to their valued members is only Alberta beef.”
Co-op butchers can offer expert advice and tips on everything to do with meat. Looking for something custom-cut or special? Just ask. We like a good challenge.
Why The Co-op butcher?
Offering fresh, local meat and produce since 1956, we're Calgary's only food store where the fresh beef is Only Alberta Beef. We are honour Co-op's founding ranchers by bringing you fresh beef from Alberta, and nowhere else.
Cut from selections of triple A beef, Only Alberta Beef Members' Reserve is the best of Alberta. Usually exported to demanding chefs worldwide, Co-op now reserves these premium, select cuts for you.
Our 21- and 28-day aging process enhances the natural flavours for a steak that simply cannot be matched. It's raised better and tastes better. Because in Alberta, beef isn't just an industry, It's a way of life.
Our unique Flavour Lock package preserves the freshness of your Only Alberta Beef. The perfect seal and airless pack keeps the natural juices locked in - protecting the premium flavour of your Members' Reserve cut.
Keeping air pit and flavour in, our Flavour Lock package keeps beef at peak freshness for up to three weeks while refrigerated. When you're ready to enjoy, simply pull away the backing and your beef is ready to prepare.
1. Unwrap your AAA Alberta Beef Tomahawk steak and pat dry with paper towel.
2. Generously season with your favourite steak seasoning or simply use garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
3. Allow your Tomahawk to come to room temperature (approximately one hour).
4. Preheat barbeque to medium high heat (375-400ºF).
5. Sear Tomahawk on all sides including edges. Watch closely and move when flares occur.
6. Turn middle or one side of grill off and maintain a barbeque temperature of 325ºF.
7. Move Tomahawk off direct heat and let it cook inside the barbeque until desired temperature is reached. See temperature table. You could use a meat thermometer.
8. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes for carving temperature to be reached.
9. This is where the fun begins! Place your Tomahawk on a cutting board and bring to the table to show off this masterpiece.
10. Leave Tomahawk face up and slice into thick pieces away from the bone.
11. Season it once sliced with coarse salt.
12. Serve guests their portion directly to their plate to ensure all the juices and flavour remain with every serving. Offer someone the bone – it is the best part!
13. Enjoy! You are eating every butcher’s favourite cut of meat!
|Temperature||Remove from Barebeque||Carving Temperature|
For your protection:
True to our roots as a locally owned and operated business, we’ve always been committed to the communities we serve. With every visit to Co-op, you’re supporting Alberta agriculture and the hardworking people behind it. Come in and taste the difference today.
Learn more about the people behind our local products.
Ground meats have long been a standby for quick weeknight meals, but strips of beef and pork are perfect for a fast and easy stir fry.
How do you elevate an already iconic Canadian dish—butter tarts—and make it even more Canadian? Sweeten them with maple syrup, and add some bacon.
Short ribs are among the most flavourful cuts of beef, yet they’re often overlooked in favour of more familiar steaks and roasts.
Spolumbo’s chicken sausages have been around for decades—they’re a mild alternative to the classic spicy Italian pork sausage, and perfect for tossing on the grill...