Carne Seca (jerked beef) consists of a dry, salty, cured meat product obtained from a fresh cut of Canadian beef, dried by salt, during a period of time, to develop aroma and flavour.
1. In a container, soak the black beans for at least 4 hours. Drain the water.
2. De-salt the Carne Seca (see instructions on back label of the package)
3. Chop the de-salted Carne Seca in 1 inch cubes and the smoked sausages in 1/2 inch slices.
4. In a slow cooker, add the bay leaves, soaked black beans, chopped Carne Seca, smoked sausages and 3 L of water. Cook for 4 hours. Add more water if needed.
5. In a pan, stir-fry one onion with oil. Add black pepper and cumin.
6. Add the stir-fried onions to the slow cooker.
7. Add the white wine and then the Feijoada is ready.
8. Chop the fresh kale in small strips. Stir-fry one onion and add the chopped kale, cook until it is tender.
9. Cook the white rice.
10. Serve the black beans stew in a large bowl, with the stir-fried kale and rice aside.
The feijoada can be frozen for future consumption. DE-SALTING Carne Seca before cooking: Bring 4 litres of water to a full boil and add the Carne Seca for 20 minutes. Dispose the water.