Co-op has served this neighbourhood since 1960. We are pleased to bring exciting new retail, residential and office space as well as added amenities and green design initiatives to create a modern urban village in the community.
Our North Hill store was built in 1960, making it our oldest store. We are proposing a major redevelopment that will include a new 44,000 square-foot grocery store, a new gas bar, a new car wash and potentially a new 4,800-square-foot Wine Spirits and Beer store. In addition we will add 8,200 square-foot of retail space and 12,500 square-foot of office space.
The 115 residential units will enable many residents in the area (20% who are seniors) the opportunity to downsize while staying in their neighbourhood. They will also give new residents the opportunity to join a mature community. When completed, The Winston on Sixteenth will provide more than 100 jobs and homes for 250 people.
Exciting new features
The Winston on Sixteenth will help revitalize the neighbourhood with community friendly design and new features:
• An updated, attractive new Co-op store as the anchor of an urban village (the Co-op store and other services will remain open the new services are completed).
• New and enhanced Co-op services and product offerings.
• Community focused residential, office and retail amenities.
• Relocated gas bar with convenience store and potentially new liquor store.
• Our co-generation power system for environmentally friendly production of electricity and heat.
• The urban village design will create a more walkable and useable space for the entire community.
The specifics of Winston on Sixteenth are evolving as approvals advance.
• 115 residential units (1-3 bedroom suites)
• 365 parking stalls (97 stalls at grade, 153 stalls in Parkade for Retail use, 115 stalls for Residential)
• A new Co-op food centre
• A 3 storey Professional building
• A mixed-use residential building
• First Calgary bank
• A gas station with convenience store
• Potentially a new Wine Spirits and Beer location
We will minimize disruption in the community by keeping all services open during construction. The Winston on Sixteenth will be developed in a staged approach. Proposed opening date for Phase 1 is currently late 2020. It should take approximately 5 years to complete all 4 phases of the project.